Among the lovers of art, music, fashion, fine wine and even gourmet food there invariably exists the "snob". We all know him. He's the one who thinks he knows it all, the proverbial expert on whatever the topic at hand. He'll tell you what the artist really meant to portray or which style of dress to be sure to avoid this season. He'll tell which wine you "must" drink when serving asparagus as your vegetable. And he's quite sure he has done you a great favor.
Well, the "snobs" of the world would be right if we were always dealing in absolutes. Thank God we're not!
In just about any area where there exists a choice, there also exist varying tastes. And in the last analysis, it is our own taste that we should be following. Sometimes, there is nothing deep in a work of art. We just like to look at it. We like to listen to a particular music at a particular time because it makes us feel good. Or we watch a sappy, "tear jerking" movie because we just need a good cry.
And when it comes to food in particular, I have no desire to eat with someone else's mouth. But there are some things about food that naturally make us curious. Besides supply and demand, what makes some products so expensive? How is a particular product made, or where are certain ingredients found? Why are certain products enhanced when combined and others not?
Throughout the cybercucina and this Notebook in particular, we will try to provide some interesting tidbits about the products we sell. Some will be educational, some will be just for fun. We promise not to take ourselves too seriously. And, of course, we always welcome your feedback.
P.S. Please note that this is very much a "living document" in the sense that it is forever undergoing expansion and revision as old notes are transcribed and as new information becomes available. As we make major additions to Mariolina's Notebook, we apprise everybody who has requested such notification. If you'd like to be notified of new information about this site, please be sure to subscribe to our e-mail list.
Food Related Topics:
- Olive Oils Learn all about how olive oils are graded and other factors affecting its quality and price. Also includes a short discussion of olive oil's health benefits.
- Agrumato Oils Agrumato Oils are uniquly flavored olive oils made in conjunction with lemons or oranges.
- Balsamic Vinegars Discusses what it really takes to produce a true balsamic vinegar, and why you rarely get one at your local store!
- Dessert Recipes Here you'll find some of my all time favorites.
- Sauces Coming Soon!
- Pastas Coming Soon!
- Italian Holiday Specialties An excellent "primer" about the wonderful Italian foods enjoyed during the Holiday season.
- Gourmet Tea Site Visit our tea site for information about the wonderful world of tea.
Travel Related Topics:
- Santa Maria A review of our stay at this great agriturismo resort located in the heart of Tuscany.
- The Tuscany & Umbria Collection A virtual treasure trove of digital images from Tuscany and Umbria, Italy, all available for free download to your computer!
- The Campania & Naples Photo Collection An even more recent collection of digital Italian photos, all available for free download to your computer. This collection was taken in and around Naples and the provence of Compania.