Our Purple Potato Galette is as pretty as it is tasty. Serve warm with a salad of arugula and mixed baby lettuces.
Purple Potato and Gruyère Galette
Recipe Type: Side
- 2 T. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 lb. unpeeled purple potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced (about 1/16″)
- 6-8 oz. Gruyère cheese, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt to taste
- Fresh thyme for garnish, chopped (optional)
- Heat oven to 400°F. Spray bottom and sides of a 7 1/2″ tart pan or oven-safe frying pan.
- Arrange two layers of potatoes in bottom of pan, overlapping slightly, in a spiral fashion. Sprinkle with salt and brush with melted butter.
- Arrange sliced Gruyère over potatoes.
- Arrange remaining potato slices over cheese, overlapping slightly, in a spiral fashion. Brush with remaining melted butter and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake until potatoes are tender in all places (a fork with thin tines should poke easily through all the layers), 35-40 min. The bottom will be crisp and the sides brown.
- Let the galette cool for 10 or 15 min. in the pan. It will then be cool enough to handle but still hot inside for serving. Have a cutting board nearby. Run a paring knife around the edge of the galette to loosen it and carefully remove the tart ring by gently pressing the tart bottom up. Slide a very thin spatula under and all around the bottom layer to free the galette from the tart bottom. Use the spatula to gently slide the galette onto a cutting board.
- Sprinkle with fresh thyme. Cut into 4 wedges and serve immediately.