1 small butternut squash -- peeled
seeded and cubed 1 small celeriac or celery root -- peeled and cubed
1 carrot -- peeled
ends removed -- chopped 1 medium all-purpose potato -- peeled and cubed
1/2 cup chopped peeled yellow turnip
or rutabaga 1 onion -- peeled
ends removed -- chopped 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon reduced-calorie margarine -- PLUS
1 tablespoon reduced-calorie margarine
2 tablespoons skim milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
Allow one hour to make this dish. First, cook the root vegetables until soft enough to mash or puree. Meanwhile, carmelize some onions. Transfer the puree to a casserole, top with onions and bake in a hot oven.
1. (5 mins prep; 30 mins cook) In a large saucepan, combine the squash, celeriac, carrot, potato and turnip and cold water to cover; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until all the vegetables are very tender, 30 minutes. Drain and return to the saucepan.
2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425F degrees; spray a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
3. In a small, nonstick skillet, combine the onion, broth and 1 teaspoon of the margarine; cook, stirring as needed, until the liquid evaporates and the onion begins to turn golden, about 15 minutes.
4. (3 mins). Add the milk, the remaining 1 tablespoon of margarine, salt and pepper to the root vegetables; with an electric mixer, beat until smooth. Transfer to the prepared casserole and top with the onions.
5. (25 mins). Bake until crusty, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve.
Makes 4 servings. EACH 152 calories (14% from fat), 2 grams fat (0 grams sat. fat), 32 grams carbohydrate, 4 grams protein, 258 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol, 115 mg calcium, 5 grams fiber
Recipe from "Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook" (Macmillan). Tested by Kathleen O'Gorman for the Free Press Test Kitchen. Mc from Pat Hanneman <email@example.com> 1/99.